UNGEGN RHD NaplesCALL FOR PAPERS
The Romano-Hellenic Division (RHD) of the United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names (UNGEGN) announces its third International Scientific Symposium focused on “Permanence, transformation, substitution and oblivion of geographical names”, in close cooperation with the Italian Geographic Military Institute and the Regional Council of Campania – Directorate General for the Government of the Territory.
The event will be held in Napoli [Naples], Italia, from 22nd to 24th September 2021. Members of the UNGEGN, geographers, historians, linguists, planners and cartographers are cordially invited to take part in the symposium. Participation is free of charge. Language: English.
Topics of the symposium are: preservation of the toponymic heritage, historical maps and toponymy, genius loci and identity, etymological studies, place names of historical linguistic minorities, vernacular place names, new toponyms, role of national and regional geographical names authorities.
Announcements of papers and submissions of abstracts (max. 400 words – in English) may be e-mailed to the chairman of the RHD (see Registration form below) no later than May 30, 2021. Extended abstracts should be e-mailed to the same addresses no later than June 29, 2021.
Scientific committee of the Symposium:
- Andrea Cantile, Chair of the UNGEGN’s Romano-Hellenic Division and IGMI’s Commission for Italian
Official Toponymy; University of Florence (Italia);
- Simonetta Conti, University of Campania “Luigi Vanvitelli” (Italia);
- Monica Dumitrascu, Institute of Geography, Romanian Academy (Romania);
- Peter Jordan, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Co-Convenor of the ICA-IGU Joint Commission on
- Helen Kerfoot, Former Emeritus Scientist Natural Resources Canada, Honorary Chair of UNGEGN
- Cosimo Palagiano, Emeritus of Sapienza – University of Rome, Accademia dei Lincei, Co-Convenor of the
ICA-IGU Joint Commission on Toponymy (Italia);
- Domenico Proietti, University of Campania “Luigi Vanvitelli” (Italia);
- Annette C. Torensjö, Uppsala University, Convenor of the UNGEGN Working Group on Geographical
Names as Cultural Heritage (Sverige).